Monday, January 19, 2009

Settled In

Saturday morning was the 3 buck breakfast in the neighboring RV Park. We were going to walk over, but found out they quit serving at 8:30. My thought was, ‘man they only serve for a half hour?’ But I quickly came to my senses and realized I was at a Retirement RV park. I sleep until the sun comes up and I’m the last one up in the whole park.

It’s bring your own plate and silverware, and for 3 bucks you get pancakes, couple of sausages, scrambled eggs, glass of orange juice and coffee. Plus, you get live entertainment by way of some retirees playing polka music, or some unrecognizable derivative of it. I’m fairly sure this is the first time I‘ve ever listened to a live band that early in the morning. I think a live band that early is a little more than I can handle before coffee. But I forget, these people have been up for hours already. Well, since we got there late, we sat down with our plates of food while the retirees working the breakfast were slinging the chairs to one end of the hall and stacking the tables all around us. I pounded down my coffee so that I could get another one before they had everything put away. By 8:45 we were about the only ones left in the Hall. When we got there at 8:10 there were hundreds of people sitting around visiting. One thing I’ve noticed; retired people show up a half hour early for everything, and when it’s over, it’s over. They evacuate as if someone left the guard dogs loose. It’s different, that’s for sure.

I’ve been outside most of the day every day. I’ve been waiting for a cool and rainy day to spend some computer time. I can’t see my laptop screen in the bright sun, and it’s nice out, so I don’t want to stay inside. It’s just rough down here, what a hardship. Maybe it will rain in a week or so.

Tonight Paul grilled some venison steaks and we enjoyed them out on the patio. This sure is a different way to spend January. Tomorrow I’ll start posting a few stories and observations from the trip so far that I haven’t shared with you yet. Now that we are settled in, the nonstop action has quieted down. In the bad economy I need to keep an eye on my readership levels. Don’t want to lose my audience.

Weather today: slight breeze, 77 degrees, mostly sunny.

3 comments:

  1. you better not be wishing for rain....it just might show up just as i get off the plane....and that will not be pretty....pray for continues sun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes dear, of course dear. Wouldn't want it any other way dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were into figuring things out...old people have to leave right after they eat or drink due to bodily functions do not work quite as well as the younger models! If you stay down there long enough you to will be needing to leave right away!!

    ReplyDelete