Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Flashback 1 –First morning of trip

Paul and Shirley are campers, plain and simple. This is their third RV, and they tent camped before the RV’s. So I come on board as a complete novice. In the beginning I just stepped back and watched as the two of them went through their many routines of running the RV. When we park for the night, Paul starts up his hookup routines, drops the leveling jacks, extends the extensions, plugs in the power, hooks up the water, etc, etc. If the car needs to be unattached from the back, there is an exchange of some words, maybe a grunt or two, and Paul and Shirley are both unhooking the harness, then Shirley parks the car. There isn’t much for a third person to do but stay the hell out of the way. Well, after our first night in southern Illinois, Paul actually gave me a small task to make me feel somewhat useful. He told me to go back to the car and lock all of the doors. Well, I can handle that. When I got back there, I noticed the keys were in the ignition. I’m not going to lock these doors with the keys in the ignition, that would certainly ruin this trip. We don’t need that nightmare. So I took the keys out and locked the doors. I mentioned this to Paul a little while later and his response was the keys are suppose to be locked in the car because the ignition has to be set a certain way and that he has an extra set to unlock the car when we get to where we’re going. OK, so back I go, unlock the car, put the keys in the ignition and lock all of the car doors. That is a counter intuitive routine, but if that’s the way it’s done, then, so be it.

Three days later when we were setting up camp in New Mexico, Paul jumps in the car to start it up only to hear clickity clickity clack, buzz, and then quiet….. Batteries dead….. Oh well, so much for successfully accomplishing my first task. Glad he didn’t give me anything important to do.

Weather today: slight breeze, clear skies, and 79 degrees.

Tomorrow I think I'll go down by the pool area, the WiFi signal is much better down there. The signal at the RV is weak. See the hardships I must live through?

1 comment: