Friday, January 9, 2009

The Reason We Are Here-January 8, 2009

Main goal today is pack up and head down Highway 70 to Deming, NM. It’s about 100 miles southwest of where we are now in Alamogordo. Since it is only a short way, we must lounge around the campsite until 2 in the afternoon before heading out. This isn’t difficult to do since it is calm, 70+ degrees and clear skies. Now this is what this trip is all about! Lawn chairs got a pretty good workout, and it was a two coffee pot day while I relaxed and scanned the horizon with binoculars looking for Alien ships. Didn’t see any, probably since we are on the west side of the mountains from the main landing site at Roswell. We’re leaving today, so someone else is going to have to take up the watch. Last night was much quieter, although the wind picked up around 10:30pm like it did the night before. It started out the same as the night before, only 3 hours earlier. Luckily for us it settled down after 30 minutes, and everyone is well rested today.

Passed through my first border watch checkpoint today. There are checkpoints set up on the highway where the Border Patrol funnels traffic to one slow moving lane, where there is a drug dog and a half dozen cameras aimed at the vehicle. They then wave you onward, or divert you to the side depending on whatever criteria they use to decide. We weren’t stopped. They must have had their quota of old people filled already for the day.

Here in Deming, NM RV parks line the street like hookers in Vegas. You would think there was an RV convention going on. I’m one of the youngest English speaking persons I’ve seen so far.

Tonight we are parked at the WalMart in Deming, NM. There are dozens of RV’s and trucks parked out here already. Paul has been here before, so he heads over to the spot he likes the best and parks for the night. Well, since we are here, I headed into the store to see if I can get a battery for my cell phone and some beer. They don’t have cell phone batteries, but they did have beer. In Alamogordo I blew out my sneaker and have a folded up piece of paper at the heel of it to prevent the shoe from digging into my foot. Since they didn’t have a cell phone battery, I swung into the shoe isle to see if I could get a new pair of sneakers. Now I use to wear a size 9 and a half shoe. But now, evidently I wear a size 11! Now what’s with that! Maybe as I grow older gravity is slowly compressing me down into my feet. Maybe in 20 years all I’ll be is a pair of size 30 shoes moving in unison. We’ll anyway, they didn’t have any size 11’s, so I checked out with a case of beer and limped back to the RV with my good old pair of sneakers.

2 comments:

  1. Where are you going to find the famous BLACK pair of sneakers you love so much??? I would think sandals would work better...you most likely blew out your shoe in all the heat or maybe when you feel asleep at some point the Aliens did some sampling of your foot!! They tired you out the first night by keeping you awake with landing their space ship and then the following night they knew you would be soundly to sleep!!! Be careful out there it may be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know exactly where I'll find some. Paul said he has some duct tape I can use to repair this pair. Might have to make these last awhile.

    Maybe the aliens put the wrong feet on me. That's maybe why I'm a size 11 now.

    ReplyDelete