Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy Hour – It all comes together

Three pm on Friday, the RV Park Managers are putting on a Happy Hour around the pool area. This means free beer between 3 and 5 o’clock. To retired people, that means start lining up at 2:30 and reserving your chairs around the pool. There is an outside bar and a Gazebo on one end of the pool area where all the action takes place. By 3 there are hundreds of seniors lined up at the bar. At exactly 3 the two taps are opened up and the bartenders start filling pitchers of Bud Light. The pitchers are passed to the three bartenders behind the bar that are pouring the beer into plastic cups. Each person limited to two cups at a time. The lines are long, so of course everyone is filling 2 cups. For the next two hours the taps were running with only one break of 5 minutes while they changed out a CO2 gas cylinder. The three of us got our first 6 beers and sat down to listen to the band playing music in the Gazebo. It was a group that played many popular tunes from the past in a Latin/Reggae style, like listening to Bob Marley playing the top tunes from the last 40 years.

What a sight, reminded me of a college dorm party, only the people were all old. This is just unreal, all these people here with nothing to do but drink, eat, and play all day long. Sitting around the pools, drinking free beer, and listening to music on a weekday in perfect weather, 75 degrees, clear skies, calm winds, this is just unbelievable.

Back in line for cups 3 and 4, this is too good to be true. Music just keeps going, it’s so weird seeing hundreds of people at a beer party that are all older than I am.

Back in line for cups 5 and 6, music still playing, now on my way back to our chairs the old people are dancing on the walkways, so I have to stop once in awhile to let them make their moves. Good thing the beat was relaxed; don’t know if some of them could move to a faster beat without throwing out a hip. Good times are rolling now.

An Epiphany

At this point in time, after the free beer cleared my thinking, everything came together. While I was singing along to the Beach Boys tune Sloop John B, I was thinking this is just unreal, too good to be true, the weather is perfect, a little odd to be partying with people all much older than I am…..Boom….it came to me, this isn’t real. That windy night in the New Mexico State Park at Alamogordo, it wasn’t windy when we woke up. Was that just the wind? Now I don’t think so. That might have been when we were taken captive by aliens. The weather forcast never said anything about those strong winds. Alien ship? I think so. We had a brief incident of wind the next night, but it dyed down after a brief period of time. Was that the alien ship leaving after we were injected into their sociological experiment? Let’s explore that idea once. The weather is the same everyday, in fact they keep forecasting the same thing everyday. Low 42 degrees, high of 77, clear skies, calm winds. It’s not real, it is being simulated by the aliens, they don’t know the weather is suppose to be different after a couple of days. I’m at a free beer party, but all the people are older. They only know about older people because they are landing down here in the winter where that is all there is. The music is all older tunes played in the same style for two straight hours….that must be the only music they know about. It’s all making sense now. There isn’t even any clouds in the sky, I don’t think they know how to make clouds. I haven’t seen any aliens probaby because they are hiding so as not to contaminate the experiment they are performing on us. Or, if we have seen them, they have erased our memory. I can only think they are studying people’s reaction to a pleasant happy environment. They certainly have created that environment here. If they are not, than I’m a subject of a poorly designed alien experiment.

See how everything fits together? Scary isn’t it? I’m just happy they erased my memory of those body probes other people recall. Stay tuned. I’ll let you know what happens next. If I can, I don’t even know if I’m still on Earth. Could I be somewhere else in the Galaxy?

2 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds like you could be living in the Twilight Zone or in an epesode of Star Trek... or maybe its that the drinking start earlier than 3....well....watch out for shape-shifters that crave beer-drinking senior citizens........they put up free beer parties and the old folks just keep coming...see you are younger ....you know something just ain't right. The other space ship is probably at some frat house at AZ State.

    How much booze did you buy in Mexico?...
    don't worry - i know a few good AODA counselors i can hook you up with ...and a few psychiatrists dear............

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I love your stories. I must agree with you it is too good to be true. I want to retire!

    ReplyDelete