Monday, April 27, 2009

Trip Home April 17, 2009 Day 1

Left the campsite at 7 am this morning and headed north to Holbrook to catch I-40 going east. Paul took the first shift driving and took it up to the Interstate where we stopped and stretched before driving east on I-40. Pretty routine drive until somewhere in New Mexico just as I was entering a single lane construction zone something came up through the air vents that started burning my eyes. My left eye I couldn’t keep open it was watering so bad, while the right eye was struggling to see the road. Being funneled down to one lane with barriers holding us in the lane, there was no room for me to pull off. Once I could sort of open my left eye, I noticed a fog over my glasses. After fighting my way down the road for 4 or 5 miles I finally exited out of the construction zone and pulled over. Paul then took it for the next few hours. Don’t have any idea on what blew into my face, but at least my glasses repelled some of it from going into my eyes. Don’t really need that type of excitement when I’m trying to aim this RV down a one lane construction corridor. Have I told you how wide this beast is? Finally at the end of the day at Clines Corners NM we pulled over into a Travel Center to spend the night. It was down to 33 degrees and started snowing to beat the band. Welcome to the rest of the country! There was about 1-2 inches on the ground when we woke up at 6:45. Had some breakfast, wiped the moisture off of the inside of the windows and started rolling again around 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment